Saturday, April 13, 2013

March - LB

I realized I didn't post anything for March but I finished the Left Behind series for kids in March. I really liked the series as fictional writing. Again, the authors are not prophets of God or Jesus Himself so even they know what they write is not completely true. I applaud the authors for sharing the gospel through the characters multiple times in each of the 40 books. I also applaud the effort to follow and quote the book of Revelations as a guide to their writings. The one thing I do not like is that in a series like this, the room for imagination is limited. The books spelled out every event as if they were going to happen that way even though as an adult I know it is not. Especially at the end when Jesus comes back to reign for 1,000 years. The end was too spelled out and definite, it sort of turned me off to it. I would only recommend this series to older children, having explained to them the authors intentions and frailty.

This month I am working on Auschwitz: A new history by Laurence Rees. It has been a slow read. Not because it is boring but because everything in the book is heavy. The witness accounts, interviews of SS soldiers, .... it has been somber. I will be done in the end of April and will post my review for the book. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment