Tuesday, October 2, 2012

October - Becoming a Woman of Influence

Carol Kent. Do you know her?

One of her newest books, is, When I lay my Isaac Down.

I have a son named Isaac. I have shuddered at the thought of putting myself into her shoes with such a great ministry and powerful testimony about her son.

The book I read this past few weeks, is a book she wrote in 1999, years before her only son, Jason, was incarcerated. She has a great ministry to women. She was a leader at Bible Study Fellowship, a youth leader, a worship leader, now a writer, a speaker, a grandma.... she is a woman of great influence!

It is not easy to pick this book, Becoming a Woman of Influence, apart when all the chapters just flowed together into one big idea. Kent is a woman who has a heart for many women. Not just women around her, but women around women who are around the women who are around other women. In other words, she is interested in all women. She wants us all who are capable physically, mentally, and spiritually, to find friendships to invest in.

My husband is a preacher. I have often wondered, what does a preacher's wife do? What is her role? What should she be doing? Now, there are many ideas about that. Mostly contingent upon the denomination, the theological beliefs on submission, history of an individual church, personal opinion, etc. My experiences have taught me though that there is no one shoe to fit in. God made me special and I cannot be like what others want me to be like. But I can do, have done, and will do one thing, which is biblical (Titus 2), which is to invest my time, my compassion, my love, my prayers into believing and unbelieving women around me, including my own daughters.

This quick read gives 7 principles for us to ponder about.

1. Principle of time alone with God
2. Principle of walking and talking
3. Principle of storytelling
4. Principle of asking questions
5. Principle of compassion
6. Principle of unconditional love
7. Principle of casting vision

Kent dives in each chapter to give evidence as to why these principles are biblical and essential. Then, she gives examples of how she has applied these principles before.

In chapter 4, the Principle of walking and talking, she pointed out how Jesus turned interruptions into significant appointments (p.54). She gave the biblical account in Luke 8:41-56 where Jairus begged for Jesus to go with him to his home to heal his 12 yr old daughter. While Jesus, his disciples, and Jairus were pushing through the crowds, a woman who had hemorrhages for 12 years decided to touch Jesus robe out of faith. Jesus knew who it was. He stopped and asked, "Who touched me?" Two different times in verse 45 and 46. Kent penned,

Jesus used this 'interruption' to demonstrate faith heals. This impact moment also taught the disciples that no person is more important to Jesus than another. The daughter of a synagogue leader was dying, but Jesus took the time to heal a woman in the crowd.

That right there reminded me of one particular morning in the end of Februray 2010, when I was mentoring a young lady who has blossomed into one of my great friends. Here we were, discussing what she needed and praying, when two older ladies from the local Kingdom Hall knocked on my door. At first, this young lady was shocked that I invited these Jehovah's Witnesses in. And second, to agree upon their invitation to meeting with them once a week. We examined the scriptures and she prayed about it. This was an interruption that turned into one of the most valuable lessons and made two precious friends for both of us. If you had been following my blog posts, you would know these JW meetings had just ended after a year and a half. (By the way, if you have questions about how to talk to JW's or friends and relatives who are JW's, please contact me.)

My favorite chapter, is chapter 6, the Principle of asking questions. It is true what Robert and Pamela Crosby wrote, "Good questions create interest; great ones inspire a response. Good questions open conversations; great ones open souls. Good questions raise issues; great ones evoke dreams and visions. Good questions elicit ideas; great questions uncover needs." Without great questions, great inventors, authors, doctors, theologians, pioneers, explorers would never have existed! Let me list out the subheadings in this chapter:

1. Jesus used questions to expose falsehood and reveal truth
2. Jesus' questions exposed people's deepest longings
3. Jesus' questions triggered growth in faith
4. The most important question Jesus asked - "Who do you say that I am?"

I have always known to ask questions when I invest time in other women, but... I haven't looked into this topic as Kent had discussed it in this book. I have learned a great deal in this chapter and will continue to refine this art of asking great questions. 

This book was well written and was an easy read. It is great for those who want to start discipling, mentoring, or even just developing meaningful friendships. Every Christian woman should have older women to prod and younger women to challenge. This book will help give you some confidence if you feel unprepared or unworthy, and will give you more ideas if you need some growth in this area. 

Next month, I will be reviewing Paul Coughlin's No More Jellyfish, Chickens, or Wimps. Hope you enjoyed my review of Carol Kent's book!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, nice! I love you review on the book. It makes me want to read it.

    I love you honey!

    ReplyDelete